MAKES: 6 servings of just over 2 cups each (approx 13 cups)
TIME: 45 minutes
2 cups cooked brown rice (or brown/wild rice blend)
2 - 28oz cans of diced tomatoes, not drained
2 - 19 oz cans black beans, not drained
2 - 12 oz canned whole kernel corn in liquid, not drained
1 med. onion, chopped
2 tsps minced garlic
1 tbsp oil
2 tsps chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Start cooking your rice. Once that is going, start on step 2.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until clear. (about 5 min)
3. While the onions are cooking, open all cans but DO NOT drain liquid.
4. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
5. Add diced tomatoes (and their liquid), black beans (and their liquid), corn (and their liquid), salt & pepper to the pot. Stir to combine.
6. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Remove lid, add cooked rice and stir. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
8. Serve hot.
NOTE: Soup will get much thicker as a leftover, like a chili or stew. If you want it more liquid, just add a little water before re-heating. Or, eat as a dip with corn chips, pita wedges or crackers!
per 1 cup serving
Calories 278, Total Fat 2.4g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Sodium 1285mg, Total Carbs 57.5g, Fiber 12.5g, Sugars 11.7g, Protein 11g, Vit A 30%, Vit C 38%, Calcium 8%, Iron 54%